Johnson's Journalists

By Michele Burris

Adrian Middle School English Teacher Megan Johnson has challenged her 7th graders to take on the roles of Journalists.  They are creating a newspaper in her class based on a book they are reading.  It's a creative way of teaching and the kids are all sorts of excited about this project.

I had the very distinct honor of speaking to Mrs. Johnson's classes about the newspaper business last week.  My passion for the newspaper business is solely from the days when I worked side-by-side with Steve and Linda Oldfield and Lila Gunn at The Adrian Journal.  I learned more than I ever realized, and I loved and appreciated our quartet of Journalists.  I still do.  Alot.  When talking to the kids, I referred to The Adrian Journal often, as well as the paper who took over for the Journal, The Messenger.  Both newspapers are identifiable with the kids and the familiarity helped them gain a better understanding of what it takes to put out a paper week after week (or daily for larger newspapers).

I've known these kids since preschool/kindergarten, and I couldn't be more proud of how well-prepared they were for this presentation and how attentive they were when I spoke.  From the quick wit of Keaton Cook and Caitlyn Sass, to the well-thought out questions from Cole Ritter and Jocelyn Reynolds, to the kids like Drew Burris and Brantley Dennison who were eager to answer questions, to the always helpful Abbie Johnson and Kaycee Thompson, to Gaven Hale who brought his own special humor to this guest speaker, the kids showed a great deal of interest to learn not only about the local papers they know and enjoy, but what it would take to create their own newspapers.

Now I know I'm a bit biased when it comes to the importance of a newspaper, but I strongly encouraged the kids to read The Messenger and other newspapers in the school library or at home.  Keeping up-to-date about your local (or regional) community and reading about what's happening in national news is invaluable to young people, to all people.  In this day and age of the internet, social media and blogs like Mike's, newspapers aren't always the "go to" source for news anymore.  BUT...as I told the kids, in my honest opinion there is plenty of room for all of it.  Mike's blog, other blogs and social media allow for quick access to information and pictures.  The newspaper allows for a preservation of history in a way that the internet cannot, not to mention I personally like the hands-on reading so to speak - you know, actually holding onto a newspaper and reading printed words instead of lit-up screen that's a whole lot smaller.  To each their own, and that's exactly why I believe there is plenty of need to share news online and in the newspaper.  It's a win-win if people, including Mrs. Johnson's 7th graders, are reading!

Thank you to Johnson's Journalists for being such a terrific audience and an all-around exceptional group of kids.  Special thanks to Megan for inviting me to speak, I am glad she did!  Good luck, Journalists!  Don't forget to edit, edit, edit!  :)


Comments