In My Opinion by Don Arndt--Purple Heart City?

In My Opinion
By Don Arndt

Purple Heart City?

 For the folks that never received the Adrian Journal, The Drexel Star or the Messenger I will explain a little what “In My Opinion” is all about. I wrote a sort of, Dear Abby answer column for Electronics, TV and appliance questions for about 10 years. Of course other subjects were asked too, like questions about veteran’s affairs etc, but mainly that is the main direction it took. Mike Burris asked me if I would consider continuing the column for his blog. I agreed to do it as long as the questions came in for me to address because without the questions there is no column of course.
 Lately I have been getting several questions about Adrian becoming a Purple Heart City and what does it mean.
 I think first I need to explain what the The Purple Heart is, because I feel there are folks out there that might not know. Briefly put, the Purple Heart is a medal that is awarded to anyone wounded in actual combat against an enemy force. Much of the time that medal is awarded posthumously as all KIA’s are authorized the medal.
Now for the “Purple Heart City” question. After much preparation work by our local Veterans of Foreign Wars, our Quartermaster Tim Hummel and with great cooperation from the City of Adrian, Mo, Mo State DOT and John Dismer of Springfield, MO the Commander Dept Of Missouri Military Order of the Purple Heart, Adrian is now A Purple Heart City. That means we will have signs entering the town honoring combat wounded veterans.  Those six signs at $100.00 each were paid for in full by donations from The Adrian Chamber of Commerce, Kip Yoss, VFW Post 1935, Representative Patricia Pike, PJ Haskins of Adrian Service Center in memory of Gene Irvin and the Adrian Bank. Also WMAT MA donated $100.00 toward any install expenses.
Also, we are actively searching out all veterans that received the award in the area. We want to invite them to a special recognition Saturday May 27th during the annual Memorial Day ceremony held at the LT Charles Garrison Veteran’s Memorial. If you know of one of these patriots that would attend, please call me at my number below or Tim Hummel at 660 200 5994.

 You may call me at 816 898 2359 with comments or send your questions and comments to bigdontv@hotmail.com

Comments