In My Opinion by Don Arndt: Fond memory and a kid




With the rapidly approaching “kids Day” at Frontier Village I have been thinking about those over 200 4th graders that will over run the Village Tuesday Oct 3rd. That got me into remembering a 4th grader named Gabe Still in 2008. His mom called me and asked if she could drive her son in to see me. When they showed up, young Gabe had this homemade contraption he had put together by himself with “no help from daddy” he proudly stated.
As I listened intently to his story, I quickly became amazed with this young man. Seems he had completed his book report on my first book titled “See the Dragon” which he had gotten a huge 100% grade on, including the smiley face his teacher had put on the paper. Young Mr Still then let me have his book report to keep along with a replica of what he had seen in the book. Along with the story I had written in the book, I had included a picture of the homemade shower my platoon had built in Vietnam 1966. We had made it out of an old barrel and some two by fours with a poncho wrapped around it for privacy. His replica was really well done, especially for such a little guy. He gave me this little shower to keep and I’ve had it on my desk ever since that day. It truly is one of my prized possessions because he had really liked the book, he had gotten extra points for building the shower and then wanting me to have it. That book is available in their library down as low as 4th graders for book reports. I have saw several book reports done on that book from young people, but this was the only one that tried anything like building a model from something in it. Something about that shower must have really impressed him. That little boy is all grown up now and probably don’t remember any of this, but I sure do and I treasure the memory.


Comments