Leaf Perseverance by Liz Ray

Leaf perseverance
Bag 26 so far. Yes, 26 bags of leaves shredded out of probably 100 or more total before I am through.
The leaf shredding begins in the fall as soon as I can get to it and continues into the spring.
The reason it continues into the spring is because I have lots of oak trees in the yard and they don’t lose their leaves all at once but some hang on clear into the spring.
I have a Troy-Bilt shredder that I use—one with a pull start which I sometimes have trouble starting.
It’s a continuous pull start instead of a jerk pull start and sometimes I think my arm isn’t long enough for the continuous pull.
I used to have an electric start shredder but when it wore out after 16 or so years of use, I looked for another one with an electric start but found out they are not plentiful so had to go with a pull start.
I have found shredding leaves each season takes perseverance and discipline so I have a personal goal of four bags a day along with my other outside work.
Right now though after my fourth bag Saturday, I couldn’t get the shredder started although I tried about a dozen times.
So today I plan to try again and if I can’t get it started, I’ll call on some good help from my mechanically minded friends.
And when you’re 80, it sure is nice to have mechanically minded friends. LOL
And if you wonder why I go to all the trouble of shredding the leaves, it’s because I use them as mulch for my flower beds. They are like shredded gold, eventually breaking down into compost and building up the soil.
For a spiritual application, I guess it’s kind of like my going over God’s words as I shred them in my mind until they build me up in character and love. This too takes perseverance and daily discipline.
“May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had.”
(Romans 15:5 NIV)
Love in Jesus,
God’s “leaf-shredding” servant,

Liz Ray

Comments