SENIOR SPOTLIGHT - CHANCELLOR SIGNS WITH AVILA!


Kaylie Chancellor signs to play softball at Avila University next fall!

By Michele Burris
I have had the honor and privilege to cover the Blackhawks for almost 10 years now. Watching one of our own sign to play at the collegiate level and featuring him or her has always been important to me (and Mike). Little did I know that it would be an even bigger deal as the Class of 2018 looks toward post-high school play. I’ve watched these kids grow up alongside Ashlee, and I feel a strong sense of pride for all of the kids that will be graduating in May.

Accepting a scholarship and signing to play softball for Avila University is Kaylie Chancellor. Kaylie is an All-Conference/All-District catcher who has been a key player for the Lady Blackhawks since her freshman year. This week, with family, friends and teammates/coaches present, Kaylie signed to play in college. A dream has been achieved! Kaylie said, “I am very excited to play at the college level. I know it’ll be way different than what I do now but it’s still exciting to think about. It’s always been a dream of mine.”

It all began for Kaylie when she played t-ball at a young age. By 4th grade, she started her competitive softball career with Coach Tim Brown, which helped lead her on the path to play collegiate ball. She said, “Competitive helped me get there (Avila) because I was consistently playing and getting looks. I missed so many birthday parties and sleepovers just for tournaments, but it was all worth it.” 

In addition to her competitive career, Kaylie has done well for the Lady Blackhawks. She received All-District honors (freshman, junior years) and All-Conference honors (junior year). After a heartbreaking ACL injury, Kaylie could not play softball her sophomore year. About her time with the Blackhawks, she said: “High school softball has helped me become a leader”. Lady Blackhawks Head Coach Megan Horton is excited for Kaylie. “I’m extremely proud of Kaylie. It’s always nice to see a young athlete’s hard work pay off. She’s a leader for our team and I can’t wait to see the great things she does at Avila.”

When asked about the most inspirational person in her softball career, Kaylie had this to say: “Man there are a lot of people that have inspired me, but I would have to say my dad. My dad taught me how to love the game. He worked with me all the time when I was little. He’s been to every game and is always supporting me. He helped me become the player I am today.”

Moving on to play softball at Avila is exciting yet a little bittersweet. Kaylie said, “What I will miss most about my softball family is playing with some of my best friends, and having a family to count on and knowing my coaches are always there. I get to experience a lot of things in competitive ball, so getting to play with some of my good friends (Payton, Kenna, Kylee) is a blast."

Kaylie signed. College softball is a much anticipated reality. But you don’t just walk away from everything leading up to this point without words of gratitude to special people who supported you along the way. Kaylie expressed thanks and appreciation, as listed below.
     --“I want to thank my parents for being there for me throughout my whole softball career. I couldn’t have done any of this without you. I want to thank my mom for being my biggest supporter and always comforting me when I need it.”
     --“I want to thank my little sister for being my biggest fan, and always playing catch with me when I ask even though I know you hate it. I love you more than words.”
     --“I want to thank my grandparents for also supporting me and coming to my games whenever they could make it. My Grandpa Allen has been at almost all of my games and I am very, very thankful for that.”
     --“I want to thank my friends for understanding anytime I say ‘Sorry, I can’t, I have softball,’ and for always supporting my dreams.”
     --“I want to thank Tim Brown for helping get me started on my softball career and giving me the chance to be on his team and loving me like his own. I want to thank Terry Cunconan and Jeff Gilbert for helping me compete with a great group of girls at a high level of softball.”
     --“Thank you again for everyone who has made this possible. I am so very blessed to have you guys in my life.”

Avila has a short season in the fall and then will start again in the Spring of 2019, so stay tuned! Best of luck, Kaylie!!!

Friends and family gathered in the AHS gym for Kaylie's signing with Avila!





I really wanted to be there for Kaylie's signing but illness kept me home while Mike was at work!
Thanks so much to Amanda Chancellor for sharing her pictures!

Comments