Snake Handler by Liz Ray

Snake handler
I was down in the basement last Friday hurriedly grabbing a repurposed gift bag to put my garden club gift in when I looked down on the carpet.
There slithering around the door from the darkroom to the hall was a snake. I’m not sure what kind, sort of looked like a black snake but not entirely.
I thought, “Oh, no, please don’t move while I grab something to scoop you up in and take you outside.”
I had to do some quick thinking. I needed to put something over this snake, big enough to capture its entire body before it got away.
There in the darkroom were plastic containers that I had a lot of my old “God in the Everyday” articles in. I saw one the right size, so I quickly dumped the articles out and put the container upside down over the snake.
Now my problem was how do I slip the lid under the container without allowing the snake to sneak out while the container was up enough to get the lid on since it was curved on the edges. 
I needed something flat to slip under the container. All I could think of was a cookie sheet, so I put something heavy over the snake container and ran upstairs and grabbed a cookie sheet and slipped it under the container.
I was then able to turn the container over and put the real lid on. I told the snake not to worry. He would be free in a few minutes.
So back upstairs I go this time with the snake intact in the “snake container” and headed for the woods where I let him out.
With the cold winter coming on, he probably would have preferred staying in the basement, but I just as soon prefer not to have a snake in my basement. How he got in I don’t know.
All I know, God always comes to my rescue. He gave me some quick thinking how to capture the snake and get it back outside where it belonged.
“Don’t panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you…” (Isaiah 41:10 MSG)
Love in Jesus,
God’s “snake handler” servant,
Liz Ray

Comments