2017 AHS Grad Enters MSSU Radiology Program

2017 AHS Alum Sheldon Tallman has been accepted into the Radiology Program at Missouri Southern State University in Joplin.  Congrats!!

Sheldon Tallman, Class of 2017, graduated from Adrian High School with the intention of pursuing a radiology degree at Missouri Southern State University (MSSU) in Joplin, MO.  Last fall Sheldon began her freshman year at MSSU.  Since then she has made exceptional strides in advancing her education for future success in the professional world.  It is with great enthusiasm and a whole lot of Blackhawk Pride to reveal that Sheldon Tallman has been selected as one of 12 who will be entering the MSSU Radiologic Technology Program as a sophomore!   This is no easy task and only 12 of 40 applicants were selected!

The requirements for selection into the program are stringent.  They include:  Earn a C or higher in Anatomy and Physiology I and II and Medical Terminology (Sheldon earned an A in all); take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (a Medical ACT test); complete an application; obtain 3 letters of recommendation; job shadow for 8 hours in the radiology department and write a paper over what was observed; undergo an interview with the 2 Department Heads of Radiology.  Final selections were made bases on grades, GPA, interview, etc. 

The MSSU Radiologic Technology Program is top-notch.  Some facts about the program from the MSSU website:
    --  100% first-time pass rate on the National ARRT Certification Exam for 11 years straight
    --  Scores on the exam are significantly higher than national norms
    --  A 95% placement rate
    --  High employer satisfaction scores with MSSU graduates as employees

Proud is an understatement for Sheldon's parents, Neal and Courtney Tallman.  Courtney said, "I am so proud of you, Sheldon.  You have worked so hard and put in so many hours studying.  I can't imagine how it feels to go from your small town high school to a big college campus!  I'm sure it felt overwhelming at times, and you may have even felt lost.  Now that you have been accepted into the program, I hope you feel like you have found your place and that this is where you belong.  Keep up the hard work!  We love you are are beyond proud."


Sheldon and her parents, Neal and Courtney
photo by Sheldon's Aunt, Christian Dennison

An inspiration for Sheldon when choosing a career is her Grandma, Ellen Clements.  Ellen is so happy for Sheldon!  She shared some background about Sheldon's journey in pursuing a radiology degree.  "The summer before Sheldon's senior year she talked to me about the field of radiology, especially ultrasound.  As most know, I worked in Imaging for over 40 years.  Cass Regional Medical Center allowed Sheldon to spend sometime in the ultrasound department.  After talking about it she didn't think it was for her.  Sheldon then visited Missouri Southern State University in Joplin, Missouri.  This secretly thrilled this grandmother that had helped start this program with Southern when I was a Director at St. John's Medical Center.  I've watched a young lady that never cared that much about grades apply herself 100% this past year.  She finished her first semester on the Deans Honor Roll and is doing the same this semester.  I am proud she is following in a career that I loved and I know she will excel and succeed in.  She's already thinking past her BS degree into specializing."


Sheldon and her Grandma, Ellen Clements
photo by Sheldon's Mom, Courtney Tallman

Sheldon is ready for the future!  "I'm excited that I got accepted because it just gets me one step closer to starting my dream job but I'm also nervous because it's an intense program," Sheldon said.  "I would like to thank my family and friends for believing in me and encouraging me to keep doing my best."  You'll do awesome, Sheldon!  Best of luck!

Sheldon's undeniable talent on the court for the 2017 State Runner-Up Lady Blackhawks Team required alot of practice, concentration, coaching, teamwork, and personal perseverance/commitment.  Those things and more have been key to her success at MSSU.

CONGRATULATIONS, SHELDON!

Comments