Joe Ford retires from the US Army with Blackhawk Pride in his heart

Adrian High School Alum Joe Ford - Jalalabad Airfield, Afghanistan

Joe Ford, Adrian High School Class of 1996, officially retired from the United States Army after 23 years of service on Saturday, July 14, 2018 at Whitman AFB.  His wife Regina, also an AHS grad, and Ford's family attended the retirement ceremony.
Warrant Officer 2 (WO2) Joseph Ford served as a medic in Iraq and later as an Apache/Blackhawk Pilot in Afghanistan. Below, Ford summarized his years in the Army. It's quite a compelling read.
     I joined the Army between my junior and senior year of high school under the delayed entry program. Sixteen days after graduation I left for Fort Jackson, SC for basic combat training. After 8 weeks I was sent to Fort Sam Houston, TX for Combat Medic Training which lasted 12 weeks. I arrived at my first duty station in Camp Casey, South Korea on Thanksgiving Day 1996. A year long tour there, as a line medic in a field artillery battalion, and I was sent to Fort Riley, KS. I spent three years here in various units:  Armor, Military Police and Personnel Services. I had the distinct privilege to serve on the post’s mounted color guard. I would tell people I ride horses for the Army. 
    I left active duty and joined the Army Reserves, where I was a medic in a combat stress control company drilling in Independence, MO. That company disbanded so I joined the Missouri National Guard on September 1, 2001, as a line medic of the 1139th Military Police in Harrisonville, MO. I spent nine years there, deploying in 2003-2004 in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I left that unit to support the Regional Training Institute of the Missouri National Guard at Fort Leonard Wood teaching combat lifesaver, which is basically a medical first responder course for combat trauma, to traditional soldiers. At a time of war most of the Army had 20% of soldiers combat lifesaver trained, the MOARNG chose to qualify 100% of all deploying soldiers. I loved to teach combat trauma and was thrilled to be a part of that initiative. 
     In 2010 I applied for and was accepted to attend the Warrant Officer program and transitioned from a combat medic to an Army Aviator. I spent 18 months at Fort Rucker, AL learning to fly the AH-64D Apache Helicopter. I returned to the 1-135th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion of the MOARNG. In 2013-2014 I deployed to Jalalabad Airfield in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. I remained in this battalion until my recent retirement. 
What's next for Ford?  He said, "I started working at Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad in 2006 as a signalman. I am now a signal maintainer and have a territory that runs from near the Kansas City Downtown Airport to the Ford Claycomo Plant. BNSF has supported my military career throughout, and for that I am thankful." 

No matter where Ford has served or been trained, Blackhawk Pride has followed.  "I have attended numerous schools and training around the globe, and I carry my Blackhawk Pride with me everyday," Ford said.  "I am always proud to say I grew up in Adrian. I believe my success in the Army was from my upbringing and learning how to be a member of a team with the various sports and activities I was a part of growing up."  Ford said that he learned the true meaning of being a team from three Blackhawks Coaches:  George Bruto, Bob Neely and Terry Hubbard.  Ford said, "They all instilled teamwork and doing your part in a 'team' so that it can be successful."

Ford has been married to wife Regina Metcalf Ford for 19 years.  They live in Pleasant Hill, MO. He has one stepson, Hayden Smith, who resides in Harrisonville. Ford is the son of Patty and Kelly Sieleman and Gary and Teresa Ford.

GOD BLESS YOU, JOE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.
YOUR BLACKHAWK FAMILY IS GRACIOUS AND PROUD.






Photos submitted by Patty Sieleman from Regina Ford's Facebook page, she's a very proud mom!

Comments