I Was THAT Fan. Royals Playing Game 5

When the Royals were down 6-2 the other day I had just listened to our runner thrown out at third then heard what seemed to be the final nails in the coffin I had given the Royals up for dead.
Yes, I was THAT fan. Sitting in my office. Door closed. Radio off. Phone muted and flipped over. I tried to think of the positives. It was a great season. We were so fortunate to follow up last years run and prove it wasn't a fluke.
But I wasn't ready for the season to be over. So many hopes and dreams that we could finish what we started last year. I wanted to relive my youth and witness Drew experience what I got to experience as a 16 year old.
It was like the death of a friend. Our family spent so much time with these Royals this year. We attended a handful of games and watched all but a few at our house. The Royals are like a member of our family. The end impending of the season was like death had come knocking. I wanted one more day. Just one more day to appreciate what we had this year.
Then the eighth inning happened. My office manager, Trevor, just moved here from Detroit. He is trying to be gracious but there is a hint of bitterness. It would be like me moving to Denver and trying not to dance in the puddles made by Donkey fans after choking in the Superbowl.
He told me the bases were loaded with no outs. I may have mentioned that he was full of bovine excrement. Just to be on the safe side I emailedMichele Cox Burris to see if it were true. While waiting I kept getting updates from Trevor. "Still no outs." "Single" "one run scored" "tied up" "Royals took the lead"
By this point Michele is emailing back and forth with me. A fellow sales rep from St. Louis was messaging me at the same time. It was true. It was unfolding in front of Michele at home and at the desk of my office manager. But not in my office. Nope. I had already invoked the spirit of comebacks. I would not tune back in. I COULD NOT tune back in. If I did, and they lost, it would have been on me. And I could not do that to the team.
What a game it was. The Royals lived to see another day just as I had wished. Now, I want them to win. I want it with ever fiber of my being but we are playing on house money now. As of the 7th inning of game 4 our season was supposed to have been over. I was well into the acceptance phase of death.
Whatever happens tonight happens. It has been a great season. I hope to be cheering them on to the World Series but thankful to have been given the chance to see a game five.

Comments