Lauren Shipley Scores 1000th Point

The Adrian Blackhawks have had a rich history of basketball players grace the halls of the high school. Through practice, perseverance and love for the game many have achieved scoring 1000 points in their career. This year a new inductee into that prestigious club is Junior, Lauren Shipley.

Late in the recent Courtwarming game verses the Osceola Indians Lauren drained a three point bucket to cross that milestone. On her home court family and friends were honored to have witnessed history for a player that is so respected by her teammates and coaches.

Lauren has started every game since her first game against the Sherwood Marksmen. "I scored my first two points in the first quarter of my first game. I was playing against my cousin from Sherwood. It was a fast break right-handed layup".

The biggest influence in her basketball career has been her dad. "I have been very fortunate to be surrounded by so many people who have helped and supported me since I first started playing. I would say my dad has been the biggest influence in my career. He taught me how to shoot and how to dribble. He has always been my rebounder out in the driveway since I was eight years old."

Her dad coached her team from 4th-6th grade. Derek Moles also coached one of the teams she played on in the summer through little league. Other coaches that have helped mold her into the player she is today are Billy Wood, Shannon Gepford, and Matt Berry, who coached a few travel teams she played on during the summers.

When asked what was the most memorable game she's played in Lauren said it came against Jasper. "In the district semi-final game against Jasper my sophomore year we were down 13 points at the start of the 4th quarter and had two girls fouled out. We ended up making a run to get the game within 3 pr 4 points. We didn't end up winning the game but it was a fun ending to play and a confidence booster to know that you are never truly out of a game."

"My most memorable moment came against Osceola at home for our Courtwarming game. It was the night I got my 1000th point. It was a wonderful feeling to know that all the hard work had paid off."

"My advice to kids just learning the game of basketball is that it is not going to come easy. Nothing worth having ever comes easy. If you truly want to play basketball you need to be willing to work at it. Also, it's never too hot or too cold to go outside and shoot in the driveway. That's where you are going to get better and see the results you are hoping for."

Lauren is a good student, a great teammate and a role model for all younger kids to look up to regardless of their level of involvement with sports. As great of a player and ambassador of the Blackhawks she is also very gracious. "I would like to thank my family, all of my coaches and my teammates for all the support and help along the way."

Comments