Bailey Reed Reaches 1000 Point Milestone!



Senior Bailey Reed joined an exclusive club in the second half of the basketball game at Sherwood. She entered the game two points from the mark but got into foul trouble and sat out much of the second quarter.

A frustrating first half netted her one point from the foul line but the second half was another story.  A volley of missed shots and offensive rebounds led to the ball being fed to her beyond the three point line.  Bailey launched a three pointer and was fouled in the process.   A few bounces on the rim later the ball fell in to put her at 1002 for her high school career.  The game was stopped and Reed was given much-deserved recognition from the announcer at Sherwood.

After achieving the milestone the pressure was off of her and her teammates. Bailey caught fire and ripped of 10 points in rapid fashion and finished with 14 points on the night.

I had a chance to ask Bailey some questions after the ballgame.   Below is a transcript of our discussion:

How did you feel going into the last two games knowing you were close to 1000?
          -I was nervous because I knew I had a big task at hand. I wanted to achieve that goal but also focus on helping my team win those games.

How did it feel when you landed the 1000th point? Anything in particular stand out to you when it happened?
               -Once I saw that shot roll in a huge smile spread across my face. I had tears streaming down my face because I did not think I would reach that milestone in basketball. The thing that stood out the most to me was how my teammates ran and were hugging me and cheering me on. It feels good to have that support especially from my bestfriends.

Year/grade you started playing basketball.
          -4th

High school basketball honors (all-district, etc).
      10th Grade- All-Conference Honorable Mention
      11th Grade-All District, 1st team All-Conference

Favorite basketball memory in high school
           -I will always remember our jam sessions in the locker room before games.

Any advice for younger Blackhawks?
          -If you want to get better you have to work for it.

Anything you want to say to coaches and team?
            -I want to say thank you to my coaches for always pushing me to be my best and also being there for me when I needed them. I wouldn't be the player I was today without them. Also thank you to my team for cheering me on and always believing in me and what I was capable of doing.

Include as many thank you's as you want for family, friends, etc
        -First I would like to think my family. Each person in my family wants to see me succeed and give my all. My parents and grandparents are my biggest supporters in the sports I play. I would also like to thank my two little sisters Zhyn and Zhava for always coming to every game and cheering me on. They both are definitely my biggest fans on and off the court. Thank you to Devin Darby for coming and supporting me at every game. He always has the best attitude, even if I'm grumpy after basketball, and keeps me looking at the positives. Last but not least thank you to my best friends who are always there for me and want to see me succeed in everything I do. I couldn't ask for better friends.

Comments