Speech and Debate - Reese signs with UCM!


Robert Reese, AHS Class of 2018, has been selected for the 2019-2020 Speech and Debate team at the University of Central Missouri (UCM)!  After an interview about his hobbies and how he wanted to affect the Speech and Debate (S&D) team, along with a performance using a piece from high school, Robert signed on the dotted line once he was selected! Congrats, Robert!!!  We're so proud of you!

Making the S&D team is a big accomplishment for Robert as it has been a goal of his since high school.  He said, "Since high school I've had a love for public speaking in general, and S&D was my outlet. Since I graduated, I've been waiting to get to UCM (post-community college) and hopefully join the team to be able to once again perform what I love doing. Thankfully, I made the team, so now I get to do just that: perform, and give my voice."

About the S&D team, Robert gave some specifics.  The UCM Speech and Debate team has been active for over 60 years and has made quite the reputation for not only a strong and balanced team, but one that any other team can quickly make friends with.  Competitions start in September, and will go until April, and most are at other colleges over 3-4 days.  He said, "If I qualify, there are national and international competitions, some of which take place in the UK."

Where did it all begin and who was influential in Robert's passion for speech and debate?  "My biggest influences both come from those who helped me get here, and authors that I've borrowed pieces from. As they tell you in S&D, your pieces have to mean something to you to really do well on them, and each piece I've done means a lot to me," Robert said.  He went on to say, "Mrs. Powell and Mrs. Coffelt are two of my biggest influences, as Powell got me into public speaking in the first place; without her I may not have discovered my knack for the activity, and my love of it. Mrs. Coffelt helped me take a sparked interest and grow it to an ability to perform and compete, not only in S&D, but also in other clubs, such as TSA. It's a good skill to know, as it crosses over in several places."

Robert extends gratitude to people who have helped him on the path to reaching one of his collegiate goals.  He said, "I'd like to thank my supportive parents for listening to speech after speech after poem after poem while I attempted to memorize and tweak my performances. A thanks goes to Mr. Sears, as he put up with me in TSA, and further encouraged my growth in the club, which helped me in both TSA and S&D. And a thank you to the News Leader for giving me a little shout out!"

When he's not competing with the S&D team, Robert will be working diligently on academics.  He is majoring in Secondary Education with an English focus.

CONGRATULATIONS, ROBERT!!!
photos by Chris Engelken

Comments