A personal remembrance of Steve Oldfield

Steve and Linda Oldfield

The Adrian community will say goodbye this weekend to Steve Oldfield, who we lost this week just as 2019 was coming to an end.  Steve had a profound influence on the community and his footprint will be around for generations to come. He served as the Adrian Lions Club President and longtime member, 15 year School Board Member and President, MO Press Association President, Central MO Press Association President, MO Press Hall of Fame Inductee, and even Little League President. Steve was very influential in spearheading the committee to install the Welcome to Adrian sign as well as assuming the role on the Vision 2007 committe that helped bring in the funding to revitalize downtown Adrian.

Businessman, civic leader, husband, father, friend...all words to describe Steve.  A lot of what we take pride in as residents of Adrian was heavily influenced by the determination to build a better community that Steve Oldfield possessed.   Whether raising a loving family, building a vibrant community or helping to promote a rich learning environment, Steve was always looking for ways to help others and make Adrian a place the locals could take pride in residing.


Steve will be remembered most as the Owner/Publisher and Editor/Photographer/Sports Writer for The Adrian Journal. He used this position to influence young people and teach them about the newspaper business. “There’s lots of memories I have from my summers working at The Journal,” said Cole Young.  Cole worked at The Journal as part of a Mo Press summer internship program for a couple summers. He was also a sports writer for the Kansas City Star as a beat reporter for Sporting Kansas City as well as coverage of area high schools. “The thing that stood out to me the most was how Steve didn’t treat me like a college kid just stuck answering the phone.  Instead, he let me play a key part in every aspect of the paper," Cole said. He went on to say, "What stood out to me is how Steve never seemed too worried or stressed, even on a Tuesday afternoon when he was trying to get two newspapers put out. It always seemed to come together thanks to the hard work of Linda and Lila plus Steve, standing at the long white tables laying it all out. The lessons I learned from him have been valuable not just in the newspaper world but in the business world.”


As for me personally, back in the 1980’s when I was the Editor of Drumbeats for AHS, Steve showed me the ropes on how papers were put together. He was also on the sidelines of every sporting event taking pictures and writing notes for that week’s story. I remember reading a story he put together after our football game against Drexel my senior year (Fall, 1986).  He used the term “paydirt”. I don’t know why, but it stuck with me. Fast forward 22 years, Michele was hired to assist Linda and Lila in putting out the paper. Steve had fallen ill just the year before. Michele had a Public Relations degree with an emphasis in Journalism, and longed to finally get to work in her field of interest after 20 years in the non-profit sector. When the Oldfield's hired Michele, they got two for the price of one because it allowed me to pursue my own interest in sports reporting and photography. My first stories were a bit edgier, which brought the ire of moms calling the paper to complain to Linda and Michele. I felt bad for the ladies while at the same time catching the reaction coming from Steve.  “If they are moved by the story to call and complain, it means they’re reading it,” he said with a devilish grin. Steve had a knack for remembering everything about Blackhawks sports. He even remembered my stats from the '80's! I find myself doing the same thing with the young players I had covered for The Journal who are now adults.


For people who read my football stories, you may have picked up on the fact that I use the term “paydirt” in my stories as a subtle nod to the man who influenced me decades before. Fast forward another 10 years, and the new newspaper in town closed its doors, leaving a void in Adrian for people to catch up on local events and sports teams.  After that, I was urged by community members to start an online resource for people to get what they were suddenly lacking. Steve’s kind gesture and inspiration back then had a direct influence on the Adrian News Leader...and for that I will never be able to thank him enough.

Mike Burris

Comments